With temperatures hovering around zero this past weekend, we decided to make some homemade tomato soup and pair it with grilled cheese and Pinot Noir to warm us up! Skip the cayenne if you don't want it spicy, although it was just the right amount of spice for those who can't tolerate very spicy food like myself.
Spicy Tomato Soup
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 c white onion, finely chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 8-10 medium sized, puréed
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/3 c red wine
- 2 c chicken broth
In an 8-qt sauce pan, heat butter, garlic, and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir frequently until the onion is soft and reduce heat to low. Add puréed tomatoes, fresh basil, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste, heavy cream, red wine, and chicken broth and simmer 5 minutes.
Substitutions and Tips
- Use 32 oz of canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones
- Instead of heavy cream, try coconut milk
- Serve the rest of the wine with dinner (if it is decent). We used pinot noir but any dry red wine will work.
- We topped our soup with bacon, delicious!
Enjoy! Hopefully this soup can warm you up if you're lucky enough to live in this hell hole they call Minnesota (I actually like it, just not when it's zero degrees all day).