A glass of pinot noir can have around 120 calories per five ounce serving. Red wines are typically higher in calories, alcohol content, and sugar than their white counterparts. Drink two glasses of pinot noir with dinner and you'll have to walk for about one hour to burn off those calories! Not everyone has the time to go walk for an hour a day and sometimes a glass of wine or two is the perfect cure for a horrible day at work! Try a red wine spritzer instead of a full glass of red wine. They are full of flavor, contain fewer calories, and will have less alcohol making it a much healthier option.
Red Wine Spritzer
- 1/2 c frozen pomegranate perils
- 3 oz red wine
- 3 oz diet ginger ale
Pour 1/2 c frozen pomegranate perils into your glass. Top with 3 oz red wine followed by 3 oz diet ginger ale. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Tips
- Frozen apples, grapes, and cherries can also be used in this drink. When deciding what fruit to use in your red wine spritzer, look for flavors that are present in the wine you are drinking. Pinot noir tends to have hints of cherry, cranberry, raspberry and/or strawberry making red berries excellent options for the fruit you choose.
- Fruit can be fresh but frozen fruits will cool your drink without diluting it like ice would.
- Instead of ginger ale, try any seltzer water, club soda, or flavored sparkling water. Try LaCroix's Berry, it is calorie and sodium free and compliments most red wines.
- We used leftover pinot noir from the night before that was poorly resealed and didn't taste the greatest a day later. We couldn't waste good wine!