This Christmas I made my mom and aunts some Green Bay Packer wine glasses. They are die-hard Packer fans and far from ordinary (I mean that in a good way) so they each deserve a pretty glass to use while they cheer on the Pack! You can customize this DIY project to fit whatever color scheme or theme you want. Last summer I made a couple of Milwaukee Brewer themed glasses and I am on to some Wisconsin Badger glasses next!
Time: 5 minutes per glass
Cost: Less than $5 a glass
- Jewelry Wire
- Beads - Swarovski Crystal beads work well and are gorgeous
- Wine Glasses
- Wire Cutter
- Cut the wire to about five times the length of your wine glass stem.
- Wrap the start of your wire around the bottom of the wine glass stem twice and then wrap the wire back through to make sure the beads will not fall off. Complete this step every time you reach the top and bottom of the wine glass stem.
- Begin feeding beads through the wire while turning your wine glass until you reach the top of the wine glass stem. I aim for a more random approach but typically I add a few beads and then wrap the wire around the stem at least once before adding more beads.
- Once you reach the top of the stem, repeat steps 2-3 again and work your way towards the bottom. You can complete steps 2-3 as many times as you would like to get the result you are looking for.
- Cut the remaining wire or feed it back through your wine glass. You can use your wire cutter or needle nose pliers to make sure the ends of the wire are not sticking out.
Tips & Care
- Add only a few beads each pass up or down the stem. This will allow more wire to show through and it will be easier to feed the wire back through to make sure the beads will not fall off.
- Try HomeGoods or any discount home decor store for cheap wine glasses to use for this project.
- After each use, clean the glass with mild soap and warm water - I haven't tried it but I am assuming beads are not dishwasher safe!
Let me know if you have any questions and Go Pack Go!